Criteo (NASDAQ: CRTO), the performance advertising technology company, today revealed its Travel Flash Report that highlights the increased use of mobile devices in consumer travel planning and purchasing worldwide. This report provides insight on both the share and value of bookings generated from mobile devices for travel websites, including airlines, hotels, car rentals, cruises and apartments, and the impact this has on marketers' advertising campaigns.
The Travel Flash Report represents the activity of more than 1,000 travel websites worldwide in the first half of 2014. Key takeaways include:
- Mobile bookings are growing faster than desktop: 20 percent versus 2 percent over the first six months of 2014.
- Smartphones and tablets account for 21 percent of hotel bookings.
- Peer-to-peer apartment rentals is the category with highest mobile penetration (34 percent globally).
- The value of mobile bookings is increasing in every area except for accommodation. The average booking value was 21 percent higher for air travel and 13 percent higher for car rentals, but 30 percent lower for hotel bookings on mobile devices than desktop.
- In-app bookings account for 12 percent of total mobile bookings.
- The value of bookings by device varies across categories: there's an average $600 more spent on packages booked on the iPad compared to those booked via any Android device. However, the value of Android bookings for flights outpaces all other mobile devices.
- Asia Pacific leads the way with more than 20 percent of travel bookings made on a mobile device, with Brazil and Germany less than 10 percent.
- With a 42 percent increase, Latin America has the most significant seasonal growth in online bookings for travel advertisers. This coincided with the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
- Online travel agencies' bookings climb by 50 percent throughout the season in Europe and the US, but the average value of those bookings falls by 19 percent. For hotel suppliers, however, the booking numbers remain stable throughout the first half of 2014, with peaks in value in February and June.
To download Criteo's complete Travel Flash Report, please visit here.
Criteo delivers personalized performance advertising at an extensive scale. Measuring return on post-click sales, Criteo makes ROI transparent and easy to measure. Criteo has over 1,000 employees in 17 offices across the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific, serving over 6,000 advertisers worldwide with direct relationships with over 7,000 publishers.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.