As consumers are becoming increasingly interested in the source of their food they are relying on restaurants now more than ever to deliver the flavorful yet responsible dishes they crave. To help chefs and foodservice operators meet this growing diner demand, US Foods introduces its “Serve Good” line featuring a wide range of products including cage-free eggs, organic bread, non-GMO oils and sustainable seafood.
“The demand for sustainable options when dining out continues to grow,” said Stacie Sopinka, vice president, Product Development and Innovation, US Foods. “In fact, nearly 70 percent of diners say they would have a better impression of a restaurant that offered sustainable foods. With the high-quality, on-trend and sustainable items in Serve Good, we can help our customers deliver what their diners want and stay competitive in this changing marketplace.”
Each of the 21 Serve Good products are responsibly sourced or contribute to waste reduction while also bringing the benefits of versatility and time and labor savings in the kitchen.
Sustainably and Responsibly Sourced.
Eighty two percent of consumers want meat and poultry raised without antibiotics. Sustainable seafood ranked ninth in the top 20 food trends for 2016. Among the Serve Good items that are in line with these preferences:
- Chef’s Line® All Natural Turkey Breast Roast: This tender, skin-on turkey roast is made from turkeys that are vegetarian-fed and raised without antibiotics.
- Harbor Banks® Barramundi: This sustainably sourced, ocean-farmed whitefish is on its way to earning four-star certification under the Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) standards.
- Rykoff Sexton® Non-GMO Canola Oil: This Non-GMO Project Verified oil is expeller-pressed, without the use of chemicals, has zero grams trans fats per serving and is low in saturated fat.
Nearly 40 percent of the US food supply is wasted annually, and about $218 billion a year is spent growing, processing, transporting and disposing of food that is never eaten. These Serve Good products are fresh, efficient and contribute to waste reduction, as well as responsible disposables.
- Cross Valley Farms® Chopped Broccoli Leaves: Broccoli leaves are the latest superfood discovery, and because these leaves capture more goodness from one plant, it minimizes water usage and yields an additional 2,640 pounds of additional product harvested per acre.
- Monarch® Eggless Spread: Also known as the miracle mayonnaise alternative, this spread is made with vegetable protein, which when compared to animal protein, uses five to ten times less water and requires one tenth of the land.
- Monogram® Reusable Travel Cups: Approximately 14 billion paper coffee cups are thrown away every year. While most paper cups may be called recyclable, the majority are still lined with polyethylene, a non-recyclable material that ends up in landfills. Monogram Reusable Travel Cups cut down on both environmental waste and costs because they live long after the first beverage and are made with polypropylene, a truly recyclable material, which is BPA-free.
For more on the Serve Good Program and full Summer Scoop lineup, visit www.usfoods.com.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.