Online Travel Growth to Slow to Single Digits by 2013
The U.S. travel market remains strong despite a murky economic outlook for 2013. Aided by rising prices and corporate travel demand, the industry will grow 8% in 2012 to reach a record $303 billion, according to travel industry research authority PhoCusWright, in the new report PhoCusWright's U.S. Online Travel Overview Twelfth Edition. PhoCusWright projects sustained but slowing growth through 2014.
"With uncertainty surrounding the fiscal cliff, European debt crisis and a slowing China economy, the travel industry outlook for the coming year is guarded," said Lorraine Sileo, vice president, research. "But after recovering from the recessionary losses of 2009 in less than two years, the U.S. travel market continues to show remarkable resilience."
Led by air and hotel, the online leisure/unmanaged business travel market is growing faster than the industry as a whole, jumping 11% in 2012. However, online growth is expected to slow to 7% annually for 2013 and 2014. Supplier websites are growing faster than online travel agencies in every segment, with total online supplier bookings jumping 14% in 2012, versus 6% growth for OTAs. By 2014, two thirds of online bookings will be made via supplier websites.
PhoCusWright's U.S. Online Travel Overview Twelfth Edition is a comprehensive analysis of the U.S. travel industry, providing market sizing and growth forecasts through 2014. The report focuses on the U.S. online leisure/unmanaged business travel marketplace, highlighting marketing and distribution trends for all travel segments including air, hotel, car rental, vacation packaging, rail and cruise. It tracks distribution shifts among supplier websites and online travel agencies, as well as major offline channels. For the first time, the report also includes mobile market sizing and forecasts. This comprehensive research provides a detailed overview of travel distribution in the U.S., with rich insight into trends in market share, technological innovation and consumer behavior.
- Size of the U.S. total and online travel markets
- Market sizing and forecasts through 2014, including breakouts for air, car, hotel, tour, rail and OTAs
- Mobile travel sizing and forecasts for the first time
- Distribution patterns by segment and channel
- In-depth analysis of air, hotel, car rental, vacation packaging, rail and cruise segments
- Consumer and technology trends influencing travel marketing and distribution
- Impact of macroeconomic changes
ABOUT PHOCUSWRIGHT INC. (www.phocuswright.com)
PhoCusWright, the travel industry research authority, fosters smart strategic planning and tactical decision-making by delivering primary research on the evolving dynamics that influence travel, tourism and hospitality distribution. To complement its research in North America, Europe and Asia, PhoCusWright partners with and produces several high-profile conferences around the world.
- Amazon's Multifaceted and Likely Inevitable Path Into Travel - PhoCusWright
- Hotels Admit Steep Reliance on Online Travel Agencies - PhocusWire
- OTAs Aggressively Pursuing Higher-margin Hotel Segment
- European Travel Activities Market Tops 38 Billion
- Mobile Travel Strategy Shakeup Ahead As Tablet Adoption Nears 50%
- European Hotel Industry Reports Growth Across All Performance Metrics for March 2018
- 4.5 Percent RevPAR Growth for Hotel Industry in Asia Pacific Region for March 2018
- Positive Results for US Hotel Industry for Week Ending April 14th - 2018
- Positive Performance Metrics for Canadian Hotel Industry Week Ending 14 April 2018
- US Hotel Industry Reports Record Performance for Q1