Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH) and Weintraub Real Estate Group announced the official start of construction on the Cambria Hotel Calabasas – Malibu. Expected to open in early 2021, the three-story, 125-room upscale hotel will further the brand's Golden State presence, which includes the Cambria Hotel LAX and will expand to Anaheim, Sonoma, and Napa by year end, with the Cambria LA Spring Street under development.
The Cambria Hotel Calabasas – Malibu is being built at 26300 Rondell Rd. along the 101 Freeway, which connects Los Angeles and San Francisco. Once open, the hotel will offer upscale accommodations near the region's major employers, including the corporate headquarters of the Cheesecake Factory, Inc., Harbor Freight Tools, and Keysight Technologies Inc., which was founded by Hewlett-Packard. Located a short, scenic drive from Malibu's famous beaches and waterfront dining, the Cambria Hotel Calabasas – Malibu will offer convenient access to Pepperdine University, the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, as well as the hiking and biking trails of the Santa Monica Mountains.
The Calabasas groundbreaking marks the beginning of a busy season for the Cambria brand, which is on pace to break its openings record for the second-straight year. This summer alone, seven Cambria hotels are expected to open in top-tier markets across the country, adding over 1,200 rooms to Choice Hotels' upscale portfolio:
- Cambria Hotel Boston Downtown – Boston, Mass.
- Cambria Hotel Houston Downtown Convention Center – Houston, Texas
- Cambria Hotel Milwaukee Downtown – Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Cambria Hotel Richardson - Dallas – Richardson, Texas
- Cambria Hotel Anaheim Resort Area – Anaheim, Calif.
- Cambria Hotel Bettendorf - Quad Cities – Bettendorf, Iowa
- Cambria Hotel Fort Mill – Fort Mill, S.C.
"Breaking ground on the Calabasas project is the perfect way to kick-off a transformational summer for the Cambria brand, which is on track to reach 50 open hotels by yearend," said Janis Cannon, senior vice president, upscale brands, Choice Hotels. "We're thrilled that Cambria's western expansion is extending to a market like Calabasas—an in-demand, upscale destination with something to offer modern business travelers and tourists alike."
The Cambria Hotel Calabasas – Malibu will feature brand hallmarks tailored to the needs of modern travelers, including:
- An outdoor pool with mountain views
- Contemporary and sophisticated guestrooms, complete with modern fixtures, abundant lighting, and plush bedding
- Immersive, spa-style bathrooms with Bluetooth mirrors
- Onsite barista coffee bar and dining option that features freshly prepared food, local craft beer on tap, wine, and specialty cocktails
- Open-air dining patio
- Multi-function meeting space
- State-of-the-art fitness center
- Locally inspired design
The hotel is being developed by Weintraub Real Estate Group, a distinguished local real-estate firm specializing in unique, community-oriented developments.
"As a fourth-generation Angeleno, I focus my attention on projects that stand to serve as long-lasting benefits to local communities, and I'm excited to partner with Choice because I know they work in the same way," said Richard Weintraub, president and founder of Weintraub Real Estate Group. "The hotel's location has the best of both worlds: major businesses and access to some of the most beautiful beaches on the west coast, all of which will offer an unmatched experience to future Cambria guests."
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.