Executive Chef - Hotel FiDi - New York, NY
Real Hospitality Group
New York, NY
Hospitality - Hotel
2 Year Degree
To do this kind of work, you must be able to:
- Detail oriented and ability to multi-task working independently with minimal direction.
- Think logically to make decisions.
- Understand the effect policies and economic trends will have on organization's plans.
- Continually make decisions based on experience and personal feelings as well as on facts and figures.
- Deal with all kinds of people ranging from civic leaders to associates and from legislators to the general public.
- Speak and write clearly and with authority.
- Be available for work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Interpret information in mathematical, written, and diagram form.
- NY-based experience in a non-chain restaurant environment.
- Experience in all positions on the line and specifically as Sous or Executive Chef.
- Experience in menu development from ground up.
- ServSafe Certified or ability to become ServSafe Certified.
- Graduate of an accredited Culinary Institution.
- Experience in operating a successful restaurant.
- Minimum 5 years' experience inside a reputable New York kitchen.
Physical Demands: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 lbs. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, talking, hearing, seeing.
Environmental Conditions: Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered "inside" if the worker spends approximately 75% or more of the time inside.
Extremes of Heat plus Temperature Changes:
Extremes of Heat: Temperature sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort unless the worker is provided with exceptional protection.
Temperature Changes: Variations in temperature which are sufficiently marked and abrupt to cause noticeable bodily reactions.
Profit & Loss Skills: Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: Compute discount, interest, profit and loss, commission, markups and selling price, ratio and proportion, and percentages. Calculate surface, volumes, weights and measures. The bottom line, must have a thorough understanding of operating and thriving in a profit margin environment with the creative acumen to meet fiscal targets.
Language Skills: Must have developed language skills to the point to be able to: Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech. Speak with poise, voice control and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Relationships to Data, People and Things:
Data: Coordinating: Determining time, place and sequence of operations or action to be taken on the basis of analysis of data; executing determination and/or reporting on events.
People: Speak-Signaling: Talking with and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information. Includes strong mentoring and delegating assignments and/or directions to helpers or assistants.
Things: Precision Working: Using body members and/or tools or work aids to work, move, guide or place objects or materials in situations where ultimate responsibility for the attainment of standard occurs and selection of appropriate tools, objects or materials and the adjustment of the tool to the task require exercise of considerable judgment.
Specific Vocational Preparation: Specific vocational training includes an occupationally significant combination of: vocational education, apprentice training, in-plant training, on-the-job training, or essential experience in less responsible jobs which lead to the higher job or serving in other jobs. Over 4 years up to and including 10 years. A 2-year culinary degree preferred.
REPORTS TO: General Manager of Hotel
SUPERVISES DIRECTLY: All Culinary Staff and Stewards
BACKGROUND: A brand new construction Financial District Hotel will house a New American restaurant and we are seeking an Executive Chef who will helm this restaurant, acting as the dynamic culinary face of the restaurant beginning with menu development through to small wares selection, talent sourcing, development, and the strategic launch of the restaurant in Autumn 2018.
We seek to garner reviews, press, and establish this Chef alongside this project as the pre-eminent culinary outlet in the Financial District and within the NYC Market. We will be putting press resources behind this holistically and are looking to elevate this Executive Chef throughout the process.
Our expectation for this role is that of a destination-driven experience in the Financial District, providing a leading-edge and inventive destination for guests to stay, work, play, eat, and imbibe. With 131 state-of-the-art rooms, this boutique hotel and accompanying restaurant and bar outlets is going to be the premiere destination for a discerning traveler looking for an energetic and lively hospitality experience.
The restaurant is intended to be a New American restaurant that will be open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with a spacious bar that is connected to the overall restaurant brand (which is separate from the hotel brand), providing an elevated, and delicious destination in a neighborhood not known for having many options, let alone the presentation and culinary experience we will provide. The venue will be the district's answer to the restaurant you desire to visit daily, as the food will be healthy, locally sourced, yet familiar, and delicious. The restaurant will feature a Chef that we are hiring for with this post with strong pedigree who will have a notable background and provide ongoing credibility for the project.
In the fall, post the initial opening, the property will also welcome a top floor bar destination that features a unique sunken living room, sure to be a neighborhood destination.
Purpose for the Position: To supervise and execute all food purchasing and preparation for all food service outlets and events ensuring standards are maintained as set forth by management.
- Experience with well-regarded NYC-based non-chain restaurants.
- Responsible for the effective and efficient operation of a restaurant culinary department within the guidelines established by the Company.
- Maintain budget in all financial areas - food, labor, operating costs. Maintain accurate financial records. Forecast, plan, purchase, and receive for operating needs and supplies. Complete an accurate inventory each financial cycle.
- Menu planning in a creative manner utilizing your culinary skills and experience in developing menus and utilizing the utmost in sustainable and organic products. Maintain accurate food production records.
- Ensure all food preparation and cooking is of high quality, tasty well-presented foods for each day's menu utilizing HACCP guidelines and procedures. Also including breakdown and cleanup of area, maintaining a sanitary/clean environment.
- Responsible for all catering functions. Receive catering orders and coordinate service with individual customers; work with the customer for planning of the event, if necessary - ensuring accurate cost-effective pricing. Ensure preparation, delivery, display of hot and cold catering, and other foodstuffs are completed.
- Associate training and development to include but not limited to food quality and presentation, food safety, safety, customer service.
- Superior interpersonal skills leading your staff to the highest standard of the Company.
- Knowledge and implementation of Local, State, and Federal Labor Law regulations.
- Effective communication with employees, customers, and all levels of management in the Company utilizing superior customer service.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.