Director of Operations
Marriott Vacations Worldwide
8404 Vacation Way
Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property's Hotel Operations. Areas of responsibility may include Front Office, Business Center, Recreation/Health Club, Housekeeping, Food and Beverage/Culinary and Engineering/Maintenance. Position works with direct reports (department heads) to develop and implement departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures Hotel Operations meet the brand's standards, targets customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial performance of the department and developing positive owner relations. Develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand's target customer and employees and provides a return on investment.
Relocation Assistance Provided
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, sales and marketing, management operations, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of guest satisfaction for the brand's target customer.
• Analyzes service issues and identifies trends.
• Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
• Works with hotel management team to develop an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand's business strategy and leads its execution.
Managing Revenue Goals
• Monitors hotel operations sales performance against budget.
• Reviews reports and financial statements to determine hotel operations performance against budget.
• Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
• Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holding team accountable for results.
Leading Operations and Department Teams
• Champions the brand's service vision for product and service delivery and ensures alignment amongst the hotel leadership teams.
• Develops systems to enable employees to understand guest satisfaction results.
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
Managing the Guest Experience
• Reviews guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
• Creates an atmosphere in all Rooms and Food and Beverage areas that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Facilitates the development of creative solutions to overcome obstacles and ensures implementation to continually improve guest satisfaction results.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in Operations (e.g., pre-shift briefings, staff meetings).
• Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
• Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
• Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
• Champions change, ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
• Professional Demeanor - Exhibiting behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; making a good
first impression and representing the company in alignment with its values.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; obtaining and
comparing information from different sources to draw conclusions, develop and evaluate alternatives and solutions, solve problems,
and choose a course of action.
• Communication - Conveying information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
Strong public presentation skills.
• Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
• Planning and Organizing - Gathering information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizing
and arranging work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
• Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility for work objectives;
initiating, focusing, and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively taking action and
going beyond what is required
• Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common
goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
• Coworker Relationships - Interacting with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of
organizational goals and lasting relationships.
• Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions
consistent with company values.
• Fostering Inclusion - Supporting employees with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; leveraging
personal differences to achieve objectives; and promoting a work environment where all employees are given the opportunity to
contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Talent Management - Providing guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to
accomplish work objectives.
• Organizational Capability - Evaluating and adapting the structure of organizational units, jobs, and work processes to best fit the
needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Applied Learning - Seeking and making the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
• Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and
manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Detail Orientation - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of details in work activities. This
includes focusing on the small details of work activities and taking the necessary time to ensure that all the details of
completed work are correct and of high quality.
o General Property Operations - Knowledge of the operating principles and practices of all brand/property-specific
functions to support successful operations of the overall property (e.g., Engineering/Maintenance, Event Management,
Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Legal/Contracting, Food and Beverage, Guest Services/Front Desk, Sales &
Marketing, Security/Loss Prevention, Retail/Gift Shops, Spa, and Recreation/Health Club).
• Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing business information (e.g., employee engagement, guest satisfaction, and property
financial performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative
o Applied Business Knowledge - Evaluates market conditions, organizational objectives, and important aspects of the
business to accurately diagnose market opportunities and threats; anticipates opportunities and threats, identify issues,
and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
o Management of Capital Resources - Determines the appropriate allocation of money used to accomplish work goals,
and submits expenses according to guidelines; appropriately utilizes and maintains equipment, facilities, and materials
needed to perform work activities.
o Administration and Management - Understands and applies the business and management information involved in
strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, production methods, and
coordination of people and resources.
• Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one
to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and
o Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.